Information about the vaccines
Both vaccines have been shown to be safe and offer high levels of protection. They have been given regulatory approval by the independent Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
The Moderna vaccine has also been approved by the MHRA – its roll out is expected later in the spring.
Vaccinations for most vulnerable by mid-February
Most care home residents should have been offered the vaccination last month. By mid-February, the target is to vaccinate over 12 million people in the top four priority groups – this includes NHS and social care staff, people over the age of 70 and those on the NHS shielded patients list.
Full details about the vaccination roll-out schedule are available here:
Update 23rd February 2021
In England, the vaccine is now being offered to:
- People aged 64 and over
- People who are at high risk from coronavirus (clinically extremely vulnerable)
- People who are at moderate risk from coronavirus (clinically vulnerable)
- People of who live or work in care homes
- Health and social care workers
- People who are eligible for Carer’s Allowance – find out more about Carer’s Allowance here