Our reports are public documents and we share them with the commissioners and providers of the service we are visiting. We also share them with the Care Quality Commission and Healthwatch England.
The first visit was to follow up on issues recently raised by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) and the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to see how the provider’s action plan is improving the ‘lived’ experience of the patients/residents. Healthwatch Hertfordshire (HwH) specifically looked at the Intermediate Care Unit and any communal areas used by those residents.
Two subsequent follow up visits were requested to assess progress against the Healthwatch Hertfordshire recommendations. The 2017 visit was expanded to cover other areas of the care home.
What we found
On our initial visit we found that actions required by CQC to improve the home were slow to be implemented, however we did observe good dialogue between staff and patients in the ICU. Some residents told us they sometimes waited a long time for call bells to be answered.
On the 2015 visit residents told us they had seen improvements in staff education and training and we observed that Westgate House was a caring environment. The physical environment is undergoing a refurbishment programme.
Our 2017 visit followed our rolling care home programme looking at the environment, leisure activities, food and drink and digital inclusion and how residents are involved in decisions about these.
We made recommendations for improvement after each visit.
What changed as a result of our visits
- New menus have been given to residents and relatives in advance for views before implementation and wet wipes ordered for residents to clean their hands before meals. A flexible approach to breakfast time is also being discussed with each resident.
- Improved staff rotas implemented and an Infection control champion appointed.
- New notice boards and signage installed.
- More focus on activities and equipment for those living with dementia.
- Healthwatch Hertfordshire recommendations considered in the new refurbishment plans.
Are you looking for current information about the care home in this article?
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) monitors, inspects, and regulates services to make sure they meet fundamental standards of quality and safety and publish what they find, (including performance ratings) to help people choose care.
Click on the button below to access the Commission's most up to date quality report published by their inspectors.